28 June 2011

28 June - Eve of Saints Peter and Paul

The Eve or Vigil of the Feast of Saint Peter and Saint Paul is celebrated in much the same ways as was St. John's Eve, with bonfires and festivities.  Fishing boats are cleaned and painted today, in preparation for the celebration tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For young ladies to find out who they will marry, they should knock at nine different doors without uttering a word [good luck with that!].  If they have managed to maintain silence throughout the ceremony, then the first man they see from their window the next morning will be their intended.

or

Tie a small key on each wrist, and go to bed.  Before falling asleep, fold your hands in prayer and repeat - nine times - the 16th and 17th verses of the first chapter of Ruth:

She answered: Be not against me, to desire that I should leave thee and depart: for whithersoever thou shalt go, I will go: and where thou shalt dwell, I also will dwell. Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. 

The land that shall receive thee dying, in the same will I die: and there will I be buried. The Lord do so and so to me, and add more also, if aught but death part me and thee.

In a dream, the future husband should appear, and the keys will fall off your wrists.  If the keys stay tied, you will not be married this year.