14 February 2012

Leap Year Valentine, 1891


LEAP YEAR VALENTINE
A Young Lady to a Young Gentleman

Dear Bashful, it's leap-year you know,
And a girl has a right to propose
To the man whom she likes as a Beau,
And could love as a mate. - So here goes.

Will you love me till death do us part?
Will you take me for better or worse?
Will you give me your hand and your heart?
 - Not to speak of your house and your purse.

I should make you an excellent wife,
I have very few failings or faults;
In Charades I can act to the life,
And am great at a Galop or Waltz.

I have solid accomplishments too,
(I could tell you them better in prose)
But I'm good at a pudding or stew,
And could care for the children and clothes.

I shall be at (that) party tonight;
If you tip me a nod or a wink
Or whisper me softly "all's right!"
I shall know what to do and to think.

Don't be modest and silly or coy,
Don't be blushing and that sort of thing;
But say "yes" like a jolly good boy,
And go for the license and ring.

Then I'm yours my dear B. till I die;
I may not trust my name to my pen,
But its first letter sounds like a sigh,
And its finishing letter's an N.
(Or as the case may be)


Gustavus William Wicksteed, "Waifs in Verse" (1891), p. 139.